[MNAPRS] APRS issue in western MN

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Sat Mar 29 09:38:03 CDT 2014

I did it again, hit the send instead of the save button....  Oh well.
Yes, I wonder about QXM. It is being digied by W0GC-2 which is much
further SW of Hoffman. And it has not digied your station during the
two days it has been running. That makes me believe something has
changed in the operating location. Maybe the equipment broke and was
taken out for repair? Do you have anything running where you can
listen to see if you hear QXM?

You are right, it looks like NG0W-10 is down since the 25th. And that
might be just enough to cause the problem since we only see your
packets if they are reported by an I-gate. If NG0W is down, your
packet doesn't get reported when it is TX by QXM. But when QXM
beacons, it is repeated by W0GC and then heard and reported by NLY. So
you can try changing to WIDE2-2 as your path and see what happens.
Ideally what you want to see if more than just one path being
reported. But WIDE2-2 from your station will still be mostly relying
on QXM for that first hop. That is why I suggested trying
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 to see if CBV would hear you more often. It is not a
recommended option but might give you more than one path to a WIDE
digi.

Let us know how it comes out.

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.