[MNAPRS] N0QXM-1 back on the air

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Fri Mar 28 09:32:02 CDT 2014

N0QXM-1 appears on my APRSIS32 map again. So someone must have given
it a kick and got it going again. :-)  Hoffman is close enough to I-94
that it does a good job providing coverage, almost as good as a digi
would if in Alexandria itself.

I am wondering it the antenna is really an omni or if something is
throwing the pattern as a cardioid at about 90 degrees east?? The
packet reports on aprs.fi is not showing many packets from the west
side. If this station is really mounted at 160 feet on a commercial
tower, a side-mounted omni antenna will probably give a cardioid
pattern, or at least something similar. I'm just surprised there is so
little APRS traffic along 9, 27, or 75 west of town.

It would be nice to see another good WIDE come on the air from Benson
MN. It would fill the hole between Hoffman and Willmar. And Sisseton
SD would probably do a good job in western MN from the ridge and it
would cover up and down I-29 as well.

Still need another WIDE digi in Wadena to cover Hwy 10 and fill in
between Staples and Perham. Something in the 100-150 foot class would
probably do it....

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.