[MNAPRS] APRS issue in western MN

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Sat Mar 29 09:16:26 CDT 2014

I was kind of wondering if QXM is actually at his regular site or not.
It would give the same report sitting on a workbench. I have no way to
determine if QXM is repeating any other packets which would indicate
where it currently is. If it isn't repeating any packets then it might
be running into a dummy load.

Two ways to share a site, put up a second antenna or add another
string of cans to a duplexor. I haven't done the cans yet. The
commercial guys do it all the time for sharing sites, but they have
deep pockets. I understand the usual option is to add a series pass
cavity first in the string, followed by notch cavities and maybe
another pass cavity to get enough isolation. A lot depends on all the
radios involved.

A second antenna is the easier option. You might still require a
series pass cavity or two, and possibly a notch on the repeater RX
frequency in the APRS TX to suck out TX noise. Again, a lot depends on
the radios involved. Most ham transceivers are not the best option if
the radios have to co-exist since they are designed to receive
everything in the VHF band. Although since it is all within the 2M
band, the RX selectivity isn't going to be the issue....