[MNAPRS] APRS digipeater to far away?

Geoff Kuchera geoff at abu.mn.org
Mon Aug 28 23:59:15 UTC 2006

> OK Doug,
>
> Well I am not quite "in a hole" here.  The building sits on the edge of
> the bluff about 75 feet above the river bottom.  I am actually four
> stories above the street level as part of the building is below the
> first tear of the bluff.  If I walk to to the other side of the
> building on the east side and can see the Mining building as a clear
> shot and know that is why I hear the 010 so good. West direction is the
> problem, church roof, trees and terrain rising as one goes west.
>
> Have tried to get moved to thirteenth floor, north or west side, but
> the HRA will not move any one except for health reasons to a wheel
> chair apartment and all those are on the fourth floor.
>
> I will look into the beam idea.  Have the same problem getting into the
> SPRC repeater at St Thomas on Summit Ave.  But from the small
> outside balcony on thirteen , west side, (nice view up there!), I can
> get into the SPRC repeater with my 5 watt HT.
>
> Jerry  - K0HZI

Can you hear APRS fro your apartment at all?  To get communications to
work pretty well you do need a fairly good signal, But I would think you
should be able to hear at least one of the digi's around you.
Unfortunatly, being in kind of a hole as you are isn't going to make it
easy..  Good luck and let us know which digi's you can hit and if you can
when you get a beam to try out..
-Geoff
KC0FXY