[MNAPRS] State based SSn-n digis

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Fri Sep 9 13:24:37 CDT 2011

Are you building a tracker, a home station, weather station, fill digi,
or what? I think the article about proportional paths and digi rates
might have the answers you need.

Yes, the old RELAY, WIDE and TRACE paths are absolutely not used any
more. The primary paths are now WIDE1-1 for a fill station (replaced
RELAY) or WIDE2-1 (replaces WIDE) or WIDE2-2 (replaces WIDE,WIDE). In
the metro area, the typical tracker would use a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.
If you are well out of the metro area you could use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
instead. And all digis now do TRACE type path lists so that is not needed.

The SSn (MNn state-wide path) is mostly for special event stations. It
is usually NOT part of your path. But if you have a special event or
emergency that needs wide-area repeats within the state, then MNn-n will
flood the state. It doesn't get much use but is supported by the WIDE
digis I've built. My email was questioning the inconsistent
recommendations in the different aprs.org web pages.

To set your full path you need to include the APN code for your TNC type
and the proper PHG info, your lat-lon, and the correct overlay character
for your tracker. Most trackers are in a vehicle so you would choose the
overlay character (image) that most correctly identifies your vehicle. A
car, a van, pickup, semi, airplane, boat, whatever.

Tell me a little more what you are setting up.

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.