[d-star] UDR56K

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Thu Nov 15 10:26:38 CST 2012

I haven't looked up the details yet but the latest update on the web
page calls for initial shipments in December and a MSRP of $400.

I'd say the big advantage is that the RX-TX is I-Q based so the
modulation is under software control. So within limits you can tweak the
operating code and possibly emulate older modes. That is something I'd
have to look at in the specs to see if it works that way. It sounds like
it will.

The biggest problem with making an efficient high speed data radio is
turn-around time. That is why we liked the Mitrek radios and that is why
the early "9600-ready" radios were poor performers at 9600 baud.

Presumably the UDR56K was designed for data from the ground up so it has
good turn-around time. That will make it perform better than a
"9600-ready" FM radio but maybe not better than a SSB all-mode rig. I
don't know if the commercial "data-ready" mobiles are any better or not.

As for cost, it is 40% the cost of an ID-1 and half the rated speed. The
ID-1 looks like a network wire connecting to the other end. The UDR56K
uses a network connection but looks like you are connecting to a router
or Linux device on the inside..... It should be good to work with and
can probably handle G3RUF at 9600 and 56K as well as the DSTAR protocols...

If TwinsLAN we still want to use 430MHz 56K for linking packet sites,
this would probably be a good alternative since it embeds the radio and
modem and doesn't require a modified TNC, G3RUH modem, and modified UHF
radio to make it work. It is a little more expensive that using
individual pieces we may already have, but it is significantly easier to
implement.

The only negative is the reliance on USB for external connections. It
would make it very critical to have a reliable USB serial connection to
a node stack or multiple serial connections to packet TNCs. So far,
Max's luck with serial USB has been less than stellar....

Yes, I could see this as an option for us to play with. Especially if it
can coexist with our existing G3RUH packet stacks. But that isn't the
best way to use it.

Since it is Linux based, it should be able to connect and control any
KISS-TNC. It would be better if it supported node protocols too. It
could be very nice.... Consider using it as the link radio at 56K abd at
the same time it can control 4 external USB devices, anything recognized
by Linux I assume, and also has a network port for additional connection
to the outside world.

Or how about using it as an all-in-one controller for a packet/DSTAR
site? The 56K can be linking or user input, the network port can go to
an ID-1 or to a WiFi link, USB can control the ID-1 or connect to
storage or control TNCs......

I wonder how much CPU and RAM it has.....

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.....