[d-star] D-Star ready for Hospital EmComm?

erik westgard ewestgard at att.net
Sun Mar 22 15:46:19 CDT 2009

Bill
FCC Part 97 does not allow payload encryption.  Every type of commercial and
government radio and data network supports encryption.  So under normal
conditions we can't (and should not) move patient specific medical
information.  We cannot see a lot of cases where this is needed.  Many many
non-physicians ask about this issue.

In an emergency (possibly declared by the FCC) our D-Star DD Mode gear could
support payload encryption (i.e. SSH).  But we might want this clarified-
it's in the "any way any how" part of the law sort of.

Given the seriousness of the penalties around HIPAA disclosure, (jail time)
most healthcare providers would (and don't) ask us to move this data.
Interestingly, St. Paul Fire uses a red/yellow/green nomenclature for
patient condition on their radios.

I could only see this for hospital evacuations where you would want to move
condition info.

We use phone numbers as a record ID.

I should write an article for QST here and get the League/FCC to look at it.

Erik