[d-star] D-STAR Gateway Version 2 Software Update

Mark Thompson wb9qzb at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 12:00:06 CDT 2008

>From Icom America D-STAR Forum

n5mij at 3/15/2008 9:16:41 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Gateway Version 2 - "G2"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

G2 is here!  ICOM began shipping software this week, and several of us
 have received it.  There are some exciting new features contained in
 the new release, and we're all anxious to get going.

While we all expect the new release to be much easier to manage and
 have more functionality, there are some special considerations for right
 now, as we prepare to move from G1 to G2.

G1 will not synchronize with G2.  This means that when we switch to G2,
 we will effectively break our world-wide network for a brief period.

  We've worked on some ideas to allow a cleaner integration, but they
 were all cumbersome and not really reliable.  So our best bet is to
 prepare for G2, and then make a clean switch.

The G2 Gateway package relies heavily on the hub of the network, the
 TRUST_SERVER.  Contrary to what is implied in the manuals, there can only
 be one TRUST_SERVER in a network right now.  Having multiple, tiered
 TRUST_SERVERS is desirable, but the tests we ran were not successful.
  We hope to see that feature soon.  The G2 Gateway software REQUIRES a
 TRUST_SERVER connection before it will operate correctly.  Given that,
 we're going to have to cooperate still.

Here's our suggested plan for getting the network to G2:

Build a new server with the G2 Gateway.  CentOS is the suggested Linux
 distribution.  Others will work.  Remember, though, that D-STAR is a
 user-supported network.  There is very little support available from the
 vendor.  Being consistent with the rest of the network gives you the
 most available help when there's a problem.  At this point, we recommend
 that you connect the new Gateway to the Internet, but NOT to the RP2C.

Later this weekend (March 15, 16, 2008) we'll post the information for
 the new G2 TRUST_SERVER here on the ICOM forum and the Yahoo!
 Administrators forum.  Our tests in using a name vs. IP address for the
 TRUST_SERVER were successful, so that's where we'll start.

When you start your G2 gateway services, your Gateway will attempt to
 contact the TRUST_SERVER.  It will be unsuccessful.  The TRUST_SERVER
 will treat new Gateways exactly like your Gateway treats new users - they
 have to register and be approved.  The registration for Gateways is
 automatic, but the approval is still manual.  We'll have several
 TRUST_SERVER administrators who can approve the new Gateways, and we're working
 now on an email mechanism that we can use to speed the approval
 process for you.  I'll publish that information in the note about the
 TRUST_SERVER later this weekend.

As soon as your Gateway is approved, your users can begin registering
 themselves.  You can approve them online, as described in the manual.
After we get the majority of our users registered (a week or two),
 we'll try to coordinate a switch to the new Gateways.  This involves
 switching the RP2C Ethernet cable from the G1 Gateway to the G2 Gateway.  At
 that point, you'll be able to talk to the new G2 Network.  Our initial
 suggestion is to attempt to do this switch the weekend of April 5,
 2008.  That will be open for discussion.

We know that there will be some systems that cannot install a new
 Gateway prior to the switch.  They'll have to reload their Gateway with
 CentOS and G2 the weekend we do the switch.  I'll work to arrange some
 experienced and knowledgeable help to be available for support that weekend
 for those that have challenges.

When we make the switch, those remaining on the G1 network will be
 isolated, but will still be able to talk to each other.  We'll leave the G1
 TRUST_SERVER up and available until the first weekend in May '08, and
 then take it offline.

We know that there will be several administrators who make the
 immediate jump to G2.  That won't hurt anything, but the other users may not be
 online with G2 for a while.

We're back to beginning to explore an entirely new implementation.
  There is no training class.  At this point, all we have is a small handful
 of folks who did the beta-testing, and the ICOM manual.  Please be
 patient as we try to move forward.  We will be making some dramatic
 changes to the D-STAR network in a very short period.  I expect this to give
 us some tremendous new capabilities, and the growth is goign to be even
 more exciting than it has been!

The information on the K5TIT.Org website about bringing a new Gateway
 onto the network is no longer applicable.  We'll work on getting it
 updated quickly, and have the information applicable to G2 available there
 soon.

And the FUN just keeps getting better!

I look forward to visiting with you on G2!

73,
Jim