[d-star] Fw: [illinoisdigitalham] D-STAR at the 2007 Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon

Mark Thompson wb9qzb at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 18:19:56 CST 2008

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: "Tom Azlin, N4ZPT" <n4zpt at cox.net>
To: Erik Westgard <ewestgard at att.net>
Cc: illinoisdigitalham at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 1, 2008 5:15:15 PM
Subject: Re: [illinoisdigitalham] D-STAR at the 2007 Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon

Very cool Erik!

It is indeed a really good D-Star public service application.  Here in
the Washington DC area we are about to kick off the third year of using
the ID-RP2C/2D and multiple ID-1s for the Marine Corps Marathon (MCM).
Or Operational Readiness Demonstration in 2006 was switched part way
through that race to the primary comms for the four demonstration aid
stations.

We have a different back end set up as we plug the controller into the
existing Marine Corps network at the finish line which simplified our
role to the communications between the MCM finish line servers out to
the seven aid stations supporting over 20,000 runners. This allowed
direct access to the MCM runner databases by the officials at the aid
stations using the MCM created web applications. BTW, the selection of
D-Star was made by the amateur radio team and is not Marine Corps
endorsement. What they see is simply using their existing applications
via amateur radio.

The past two years of success with D-Star at the MCM has led to
discussion of the 23cm DD system in one of the local counties to connect
to emergency shelters with the EOC. This will be tested over this next
year in exercises as we now have our Tysons Corner D-Star repeater up an
running.

Again, great story and application Erik. We have learned a lot over the
past years from how you are supporting the marathon there.

73, Tom n4zpt
MCM digital coordinator

Mark Thompson wrote:
> http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2008/03/01/2/?nc=1
>
> D-STAR at the 2007 Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon
> By Erik Westgard, NY9D
> ny9d at arrl.net
> March 1, 2008

Yahoo! Groups Links