[d-star] Video of ARES Use of D-STAR d*Chat Program

Mark Thompson wb9qzb at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 11:37:04 CDT 2007

D-STAR Users -

Attached is an email about a video of an ARES group using a keyboard-to-keyboard program called d*Chat. d*Chat uses the low-speed data capability of any 2m, 70cm or 23cm D-STAR Digital Voice radio. Low-speed data operates concurrently & on the same frequency as digital voice and can be used simplex or through a digital voice repeater.

A description of d*Chat & the link to the author's web site follows:

d*Chat: A simple D-Star keyboard to keyboard chat application for Windows by NJ6N.
Using HyperTerm or other terminal emulators for simple keyboard to keyboard chatting works, but almost every single character you type is sent independently and immediately which is inefficient and makes it impossible to correct mistakes before they are sent.
d*Chat is a Windows based keyboard to keyboard communication application that uses the D-STAR "DV" data capability. d*Chat is used to enable text-based communication between multiple stations on a simplex frequency or through a repeater.

http://nj6n.com/dstar/dstar_chat.html

d*Chat & D-PRS are great uses of the low-speed data capability present in every D-STAR Digital Voice radio.

73, Mark, WB9QZB
Chicago, IL