[d-star] Fw: More on Analogue Radio D-STAR Adaptor Using UT-118

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Thu Oct 25 21:59:13 CDT 2007

That is interesting. It sounds like any radio with a 9600bps data port
should probably work. Although I expect it would be best if the radio in
question has the high-accuracy TCXO mod from the manufacturer. One thing
I noted about the D-STAR radios is that most of them are around 2 to
4PPM accuracy. The cheaper ones were out to around 20PPM. In contrast,
the old crystal controlled radios were usually spec'ed at 50PPM. The
technical specs we use for amateur-grade FM voice repeaters recommends
20PPM or better but allows 50PPM frequency stability. That means a
D-STAR radio is 10 to 20 times more stable and accurate than most FM
voice repeaters. We've known for a long time that 9600bps radios need to
be very accurately tuned for reliable decode. I would bet that D-STAR
will turn out the same.

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.

.005% = .000050 = 50 Parts Per Million
.002% = .000020 = 20 PPM