[d-star] Fwd: Re: [illinoisdigitalham] D-STARHigh-Speed 1.2 GHz 128 Kb IP Data

Mark wb9qzb at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 14:48:47 UTC 2007

--- In illinoisdigitalham at yahoogroups.com, "Tom Azlin, N4ZPT"
<tom at ...> wrote:

Hi.

Last year a group of us purchased about 9 ID-1s in Northern
Virginia/Washington DC metro area getting one of the free access
points
along the way. We used the Access Point and the ID-1s in a demo at
half
of the Aid Stations in the marathon in the DD mode to provide 10-20
times the bandwidth and capability than in the past. We used 1200 and
9600 bps packet in the past. We had ID-1s at the other half of the
AID
Stations but had a combination of path problems, laptop configuration
problems, and radio setup problems but getting half working was
considered a good first step and the medics were happy as we were
using
9600 bps packet as primary using TM-D700As at the AID Stations and an
IC-208H/KPC-9612+ at the commo hub.

You should find the ID-1 and DD mode very useful. We did learn that
we
had to be careful with how our laptops were set up, that we had to do
quality training of the hams at the aid stations, and that 23cm
propagation was not as bad as we had feared but could present
problems.
 We did not use the DV mode in the marathon thought we did conduct
some
simplex DV testing around the course.

We also had considerable help from Icom America (loaner radios) and
the
Texas Interconnect Team (23cm Yagi antennas) in getting it all
working.
 We are very appreciative of that help.

We will start this year with the ID-1s in DD mode as primary and 9600
bps packet as a back up.

73, Tom n4zpt
Packet Coordinator
(2006 Marine Corps Marathon Ham Radio Team)

Mark Thompson wrote:
> Hank -
>
> Although you can do both digital voice & slow-speed ansynchronous
data with the 1.2 GHz ID-1 radio, the ID-1 also has the capability
to do half-duplex 128 Kb IP data using the 130 KHz wide channel.

> The high-speed IP data capability is very interesting and some of
us in the Chicago area are close to buying some ID-1s & start
testing them.

> 73, Mark, WB9QZB
> Chicago, IL

D* so continually

> Mark:
>
> You have a good point, but there are many folks who are "hyping"
the not
> so novel D*.  I believe that perspective is required from time to
time.

> I have nothing against D*, I just don't see much advantage for it
in the
> VHF/UHF spectrum, since it only provides a few dB improvement over
the
> very poor performing FM, and is inferior by many dB and wastes
more
> spectrum in comparison to the tried and true SSB.
>
> Now, on 1.2 GHz, there might be some advantages. Is Icom (or
another
> vendor) coming up with TCP/IP (or AX.25) or ?? over the D*
asynchronous
> 128 Kb channel?
>
> 73 de n8xx Hg
>
> Mark Thompson wrote:
>
>> Icom claims D-STAR's slow-speed data in the digitial voice radios
has
>> an effective rate of 950 bps. With D-STAR you do not need an
>> additional TNC as you do with packet radio. However the slow-
speed
>> data is ansynchronous data with no forward error correction and
no
>> retries. Consquently, you need to have some type of software
running
>> on each end to handle the data transmission. In addition, D-STAR
>> digital voice radios automatically support the connection of
external
>> GPS units to transmit callsign & GPS coordinates over slow-speed
data
>> without the need for a TNC.
>>
>> The street price of the mono-band IC-2200H 2m mobile with the D-
STAR

> Finding fabulous fares is fun.
flight and hotel bargains.

--- End forwarded message ---