[d-star] D-Star Sites

Erik Westgard ewestgard at att.net
Mon Feb 26 14:20:21 UTC 2007

I have been getting several calls a week looking for access to rooftop sites
to install D-Star repeaters.  Here is the situation

- The Statewide Packet Network has contracts and handshake deals on several
fairly decent sites around town- we have 145.67 packet nodes at these

- All are limited access- i.e. one visit per year (or 24 months) is about
max - we literally have to have security people standing there watching us
work- this cannot be abused - you can get all the access you want if you pay
rent.
- One of the better ones has a specific "don't tell clause" -they don't want
to get a call a week demanding access for other repeaters
- None has Internet or the chance of it
- All have very limited space - no room for a 2M duplexer

My plan was to deploy a 1.2G data only network on these sites that were
interconnected via radio and would back up to Linux based servers
-Citadel/Trivnet/packet for disaster purposes and high speed data
experimentation, the Marathon, etc.  Note this is my plan only and I don't
get a vote on what others do etc.

I think the ongoing deployment of the stacked multiband systems that have
been purchased should take place on rooftop sites where we have good access
(i.e. a key) and would not interfere or replace existing FM gear, or cause
our reputation with site owners to be ruined, which has happened in the past
more than anyone will admit.

We have 40 FM repeaters in town, and the replacement of one or two with
D-Star would seem to be a good thing?  Also new sites are good- why
interfere with existing arrangements - this has worked well on packet.  We
have had outstanding success on "non-prime" sites- decent ones but not great
ones.

The frequency pair situation is not sorted out- .25 looks a little dodgy
unfortunately

I am waiting to see if the grant-funded systems happens.  Three requests are
in, including a massive interconnected system.   In that case, that would
get the first call on any government sites we already have, as we would have
an obligation in the grant to deploy rapidly.

More testing needs to happen - that does not require a tall site as all you
test on a tall site is your range and RF susceptibility- people who want to
get into your system from all over can via beams, etc.

I am amazed at how far we have come here- the more the merrier.