[d-star] Last few days of Icom ID-1 promotion.

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Wed Feb 21 02:25:43 UTC 2007

Icom still has one more D-STAR sale promotion running. If a club or
group buys five ID-1 radios on the same receipt, Icom will rebate the
group a 1.2GHz data-voice repeater system. The rebate offer has been
extended to March 20. The Radio City "No Tax" sale is Feb 24. Are there
four other people ready to buy a $1000 ID-1 radio?

I tried to verify the RP1 units are still available. There were 20
systems available in November. Ray N9JA, from Icom America, said "we'd
be alright" as long as we purchase ID-1s before the end of the month.

What I'd suggest is the group buy ID-1 radios and turn the 1.2GHz
repeater over to a local club to operate. One obvious choice is TwinsLAN
to operate a data/voice repeater. Additional options are to donate to
Metro Skywarn (a 501C3 entity) or a local government group. I think
either of the last two options would allow taking a tax deduction for
the cost of the equipment. There would also be the issue of paying the
sales tax on the repeater equipment itself which would in effect add a
bit more to the cost of each ID-1 radio. Think of it as 13% sales tax
instead of 6.5%.....

As it says below, the RP1D/VS is first generation D-STAR repeater
equipment. It can be modified to use the new 2M/440 modules if desired.
That isn't a serious deficiency. For my purposes, having it as just a
1.2G voice and data system is good enough. But the 2M and 440 modules
can be added if desired.

The gift would not include duplexors or antennas, etc. The recipient
would still have to come up with that. So there would be another $1000
cost to the club to buy those pieces.

For anyone interested, here is an interesting link about modifying UHF
duplexors for 1.2G:
http://www.icomamerica.com/support/forums/tm.asp?m=4656&mpage=1&key=&#4892

And about making home-brew digital repeaters:
http://www.icomamerica.com/support/forums/tm.asp?m=4717
http://www.icomamerica.com/support/forums/tm.asp?m=3769
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=52677

I'm glad I finally looked at the Icom D_STAR forums. Sounds like the
info in the General forums might answer some of my questions. I also
liked one comment about "If you think you know repeaters and think you
know networking, forget it all before you try to learn about D-STAR.
You'll save yourself some trouble."

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.

23cm Digital Deal!

Limited to current ICOM America inventory, purchase 5 ID-1 and receive a
FREE ID-RP1D/VS system!
As you may remember, the ID-RP1D/VS is the 1st generation D-STAR system
for 23cm.  This is fully compatible with the gateway system and
modification information is available to add ID-RP2000V and ID-RP4000V
components.

For under $5,000 you can get the hardware to get your store or local ham
club D-STAR active!

Purchase Requirements:

     * 1st come, 1st served!  (Still a few available)
     * Promotional period from November 22, 2006 – until all ICOM
America inventory is sold!
     * Rebate for US residences only
     * Cannot be combined with any other offer (Mail-in rebates,
coupons, and Rebates/employee discounts suspended for this promotion)
     * Qualifying purchases must be on the same receipt from any
authorized US dealer
     * Cut out the UPC codes for each qualifying radio, and submit with
the warranty card and copy of the proof of purchase to the following
address:

ICOM America, Inc
ID-RP1D/VS Program
2380 116th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

     * Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery
     * Deadline to submit February 28, 2007
     * Clubs are responsible for all applicable taxes

Note: Gateway Server not offered in promotion.

Anyone can qualify for the free ID-RP1D/VS system!!!