[MNAPRS] APRS UHF 446.175

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Tue May 24 01:23:32 CDT 2016

The only 9600 UHF packet I'm aware of is 446.125 coming out of Duluth
and down to Harris, Isle, and Brainerd. TwinsLAN used 430.150 for the
UHF backbone in years gone by and may do so again. I do need to link
the 446.125 down into the metro.

Why do you want 9600 for APRS? To me it seems almost a waste of
radios. We are only moderately active on 2M APRS and I don't recall
any of the voice repeaters accepting APRS MICe bursts. Capturing MICe
bursts from a voice repeater is what you use a KPC-4 for.  I would
think that you'd need to add the backbone to all the main digis if you
want it to do anything, and at the same time it would undo what APRS
was designed to do if they don't digi the packets back out on 2M.

If you want to do something useful, look and listen to your local
digis and make sure that they do NOT triggger or respond to packet
storms. Every time you hear a position packet, you should hear just
one repeat of the packet. If you see more than that, try to look at
the path and figure out why you are sending it again. With very few
exceptions, the UITRACE function should keep the TNC from repeating
any packet a second time if it sent it once already. We seemed to have
as many as 5 digis in town that were not following the rules when I
checked last year.

I think I saw this idea of a UHF APRS backbone before, but it was more
for the purpose of tying together multiple isolated APRS channels, but
we have only one. I haven't tried researching this again, but I don't
know why you'd want it. What am I missing?

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.

--
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

"When seconds count, help is only minutes away."
Does Gun Control protect you, the criminal, or the Government?