[MNAPRS] [tlan] Next Packet & Radio Workshops Saturday May 20.

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Sun May 14 13:04:45 UTC 2006

Hello World!

The next packet & radio workshop will be Saturday May 20 at 9AM. As
usual we'll go till around 5PM or whenever we run out of people and
projects. The purpose of the workshop is to help people who are
interested in packet radio and other digital modes, or just plain need a
little help with a radio related project. The great thing about the
workshop is that we all help each other.

We'll be working on the packet node computer project again and probably
on the TrivnetDB project too. I hope to have a number of people actively
playing with WinLink2000 and the AirMail and TelPac programs. I'll have
the test equipment available for anyone interested in working on RF or
repair projects.

I provide some of the more exotic test equipment that might be needed,
you bring your project, the parts you'll need, and small hand tools. I
usually bring an oscilloscope, frequency counter, signal generator, RF
power meter, dummy loads, and a spectrum analyzer with tracking
generator. The spec-an is great for tuning filters and duplexers,
checking receivers and transmitters. If you need to work on anything
above 1GHz, please let me know in advance.

The location is 1177 Century Ave North (55119) at the Maplewood East
County Line Fire Station #1 about 1.5 miles north of I-94. Century Ave
is the same as Highway 120 and it is on the east side of the 3M Center
complex. If you found the Tailgate Swapfest site, you just continue east
to Century Ave and then go north to the fire station.

If you use an Internet map server, it may show the wrong location. The
fire station is 1 block NORTH of the stop light at Stillwater Road and
on the west side of the road. Some of the maps show it on the south side
of Stillwater Road. If you look for the 80 foot tower on the roof, it
will be hard to miss.

If you are coming from the east, south or west, I-494 & I-94 to Hwy
120-Century is the best. If you are coming from the north-west on I-694,
continue east PAST the Hwy120-Century exit (Century College). The
fastest way to get to the fire station is to stay on I-694 around to Hwy
5 in Oakdale. Get off at Hwy 5, go WEST about 1.5 miles until the lights
at Hwy120-Century Ave. Turn SOUTH on Century and go about 1.5 miles.
You'll see the fire station on the west side of the road just a couple
blocks before the stop light at Stillwater Road. If you do get off at
the northern Hwy 120 exit, just go south about 5 miles. You'll get there
eventually.<g>

If you are on Highway 36 go east through North St Paul to the stop light
at Hwy 120-Century Ave. Go SOUTH about 3 miles to the fire station. You
have no excuse for missing the fire station if you watch for the tower
on top of a building with many garage doors.... There is even a sign out
front.

Park in the lot on the north side of the building. We'll be using the
training room in the north-east corner of the building. We'll probably
use the side entry door, the one without a door knob. Pound on the
door and we'll let you in.<g> The alternate entry will be the east side
doors nearest the flag pole but I'm not going to guarantee anyone will
hear you there....

If anyone does need to do a little drilling or solder some wires, I'll
put a table out in the garage bay for that. The difference is the
concrete floor. I really don't want any burns or scratches in the tables
or solder and metal bits in the carpet of the training room. If we mess
it up I don't get to use the facility again.

I'll have the coffee pot running and I'll probably bring some cookies or
rolls. Feel free to bring more treats. There are pop machines in the
station and a Holiday gas station store a block away. Bring your own
lunch or go out to eat. Usually we order in a pizza. We have Internet
available and cable TV to help keep kids entertained.

I hope to see you there! The next workshop after May 20 will probably
be later in June some time, after Tailgate Swapfest. I'm not sure what
my schedule will be yet. I'll wait until May 20 to schedule another
workshop, based on the amount of interest shown.

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.