[d-star] Fwd: NW Digital Radio ThumbDV™ vs DV3000

Mark Thompson via d-star d-star at lists.twinslan.net
Sun Feb 22 22:13:52 CST 2015

From: NW Digital Radio <donotreply at wordpress.com>
Date: Saturday, February 21, 2015
Subject: [New post] ThumbDV™ vs DV3000

|   John Hays posted: "We have received a few inquiries about the functional difference between the DV3000 and ThumbDV™. The ThumbDV™ is a thumb or dongle type DV device for connection to a computer (PC, Laptop, Tablet, Raspberry Pi, Odroid, etc.) to provide access to AMBE enc"

|  |

 New post on NW Digital Radio
  |    |

|    |
ThumbDV™ vs DV3000
 by John Hays  |

  We have received a few inquiries about the functional difference between the DV3000 and ThumbDV™. The ThumbDV™ is a thumb or dongle type DV device for connection to a computer (PC, Laptop, Tablet, Raspberry Pi, Odroid, etc.) to provide access to AMBE encoding and decoding.  It is the more portable of the two devices in that you can plug it into any USB (2.0 or greater) port on a computer and access it as a serial port via appropriate software to get in the D-STAR system.     ThumbDV™ - DV3000U  The DV3000 is designed to use the GPIO UART pins on a Raspberry Pi (including Raspberry Pi 2 and compatible devices such as the Odroid C1)  to provide access to AMBE encoding and decoding.  It can be adapted to other similar devices using jumper wires to connect the UART, but only maps to Raspberry Pi GPIO pins.     DV3000 - GPIO Attached    From a software point of view they are equivalent and are accessed as serial ports (COMx under Windows,  tty? under Linux/Mac OS X, UDRx) at 230.4 kbps.  Software for using these devices included G4KLX's DummyRepeater,  DUTCH*Star's Node DV (WinDV), and modified versiona of DSD (developers have modified for use with the ThumbDV™/DV3000 for monitoring DMR, Fusion, P25 Phase 2, etc. -- contact the developers for more information). Visit the resource page for additional information.      John Hays | February 21, 2015 at 12:32 pm | Categories: dv3000, News, ThumbDV | URL: http://wp.me/p2mAAP-sX
| Comment |    See all comments |

|   Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from NW Digital Radio.
 Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.   Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
 http://nwdigitalradio.com/thumbdv-vs-dv3000   |

|  |