[d-star] New Connect Systems CS7000 D-STAR Radio & Group

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Mon Mar 17 16:17:29 CDT 2014

The CS7000 sounds like what we've been wanting to hear about, a true
multi-mode digital radio able to do more than just one digital voice
mode. I expect the real problem will be not the digital modes, but the
differences between digital modes. Each "mode" will have its own
parameters and they will probably not be compatible with each other. I
expect there are quite a few things about DSTAR programming that have
no equivalent in DMR programming or P25 programming......

If they can maintain the price point and still do DSTAR, it probably
means they spent a lot of money to purchase the right to use the
software version of the DSTAR codec, although that may turn out to be
a good investment if the same base codec can be used for DSTAR, DMR,
and P25 digital modes just by changing some parameters.... .

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.