[d-star] Reflector 53 back online:)

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Sat Feb 16 14:35:55 CST 2013

Just a repeat of Erik's email a week ago, the Minnesota D-STAR
reflector REF053 is back on the air again. It is running as a virtual
server at a St Paul Internet hosting site which should eliminate the previous
problems with dropped packets and audio stutter. But we'd appreciate
some activity to prove it is working.

The Friday night Minnesota net on REF053A should be a lot nicer to
listen to now. And we suggest that your local repeater have MONLINK
running on the gateway computer so that after a period of no activity,
the repeater will be relinked to REF053A  to give us a default
"all-Minnesota" network. It will also give you more activity on the
local D-STAR repeater.

The idea behind using MONLINK is that a user can use the default
D-STAR link and unlink commands to change the repeater linking to talk
to someone on a different repeater or monitor a different reflector,
such as for a net. But after a period of no activity, typically one
hour, the repeater will automatically connect back to REF053A and any
new activity will go to that reflector and come out all over the
state.

MONLINK is also smart enough to change the linked repeaters and
reflectors according to a schedule. So you could automatically have
your local repeater connect to a different repeater or different
reflectors. This is convenient for club or regional nets.

Keep in mind that there are four reflectors (channels?) as part of
REF053. They are REF053A, REF053B, REF053C, and REF053D. We are
suggesting REF053A as an "all-Minnesota" full-time reflector, and we
might choose to use REF053D as a data
reflector (such as during an emergency?), but REF053B and REF053C are
definitely
available for other uses.

Try it again and keep the reflector busy.....

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.