[d-star] DStar Comms

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Mon Feb 18 09:13:04 CST 2008

I guess I'll have a chance to try low speed DV for data this summer.
There is a fair amount of interest in the low-speed data 2M/440 side of
D-STAR as well as the high speed side. I don't mind the low speed nature
of the system, I'm just not sure how well it will work to combine data
and DV this way. How will the applications break the data? If the
operator keys up to say "OK", but the data side gets a long data string,
how long will the data keep the transmitter up? If running a voice net
or round-table, the added time while the data stops flowing before the
next user can key up will be annoying. Of course, for people used to
Nextel or APCO25, it may not be an issue. I have used P25 but don't
consider myself a long time user. I still tend to get annoyed with the
BONK when the channel is busy.

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.