[d-star] Minnesota's New Texting Law. Watch out APRS and Dstar users.

Eric - n0nki dstar-twinslan at iwishi.nu
Fri Aug 1 08:01:06 CDT 2008

This new law effective today has got me a bit upset. Just thinking about
the idea that police officers might find it justifiable to take my radio
equipment.  What about UPS/FedEx and other delivery vehicles, service
trucks, bus drivers, taxi cabs, the city parking enforcers...  So many
commercial vehicles have MDTs (mobile data terminals). I personally
interact with my mobile APRS station and car computer and I do this quite
safely.  I guess now it's time to develop speech recognition for the car,
mostly in the hope I can convince law enforcement to leave me alone. I can
see the purpose, those damn distracted teens and the silly folks who think
they can learn to text while driving or the uppity business person who's
using the CrackBerry while speeding to another meeting while on a
conference call and thinking about what s/he's going to be doing in
another two hours...

Anyhow, here's the text of the law for anyone concerned...

   Sec. 38. [169.475] USE OF WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE.
     Subdivision 1. Definition. For purposes of this section, "electronic
message" means a self-contained piece of digital communication that is
designed or intended to be transmitted between physical devices. An
electronic message includes, but is not limited to, e-mail, a text
message, an instant message, a command or request to access a World Wide
Web page, or other data that uses a commonly recognized electronic
communications protocol. An electronic message does not include voice or
other data transmitted as a result of making a phone call, or data
transmitted automatically by a wireless communications device without
direct initiation by a person.
     Subd. 2. Prohibition on use. No person may operate a motor vehicle
while using a wireless communications device to compose, read, or send an
electronic message, when the vehicle is in motion or a part of traffic.
     Subd. 3. Exceptions. This section does not apply if a wireless
communications device is used:
     (1) solely in a voice-activated or other hands-free mode;
     (2) for making a cellular phone call;
     (3) for obtaining emergency assistance to (i) report a traffic
accident, medical emergency, or serious traffic hazard, or (ii) prevent a
crime about to be committed;
     (4) in the reasonable belief that a person's life or safety is in
immediate danger; or
     (5) in an authorized emergency vehicle while in the performance of
official duties..