[d-star] NFCC votes to recommend FCC treat all repeaters as repeaters

Bob Brose bob at qbjnet.com
Fri Sep 21 09:22:07 CDT 2007

All repeaters are half-duplex, digital or not. Full duplex involves
sending and receiving at the same time. On a voice repeater, that
would mean two people could talk and hear each other at the same
time like a telephone, obviously that isn't the way it works.

As far as digital is concerned, the machine IS a repeater if it is NOT
store and forward.

The 9600 baud data repeaters are REPEATERS and are NOT full duplex,
i.e. a sender and receiver cannot simultaneously receive and send
packets.

The D-Star stuff IS a repeater if it is NOT store and forward. In other
words if starts transmitting the received packet before receiving
the end of the packet, it is a repeater. I'm not saying that is the
case with D-Star, I haven't looked at that part of the specs.
But the definition to me is very clear (as well as commonly misunderstood).

Bob