[d-star] D-STAR at Marine Corps Marathon, Washington D.C.

Mark Thompson wb9qzb at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 11:35:57 CDT 2007

Arlington County, VA. Each year approximately 120
> amateur radio operators from a variety of clubs and
> organizations volunteer to help support the US
Marine Corps and US Navy medical operations using
voice and data modes. Amateurs with an interest in
> public service and with at least a Technician Class
> license are encouraged to sign up.
>
> Other Requirements:
>
> - VHF/UHF (2m/440) mobile rig or ID-1 DStar 1.2 GHz
> mobile rig with portable battery and gain antenna
(i.e. not a rubber duck or other HT antenna...mobile
antenna set ups independent of vehicles and base
> antennas with support structures are preferable.)
> ***NOTE: There are limited locations where hand held
radios are effective. If all you have is a hand held
let us know and we will see how to work with you on a
location. You should be prepared to pre-populate all
V/UHF frequencies into your rig and have a copy of
your manual available as rig support is not offered.

> - Operators should plan enough battery power for
> their station to run at high power for a minimum of
12 hrs of continuous duty. For those running DStar
High Speed Data on an ID-1 the laptop should also have
12 hrs of continuous power. This amount of power will
give you a healthy buffer to work with during the day.
If you are asked to provide DStar High Speed
> Data support other computer requirements will be
> supplied by the MEDLOG Branch Director. PLEASE NOTE:
DStar Digital Voice IS NOT being used for support this
year.

> - A sincere interest in working as part of a huge
> team of radio amateurs from MD, DC, VA and from as
far away as New Hampshire, Montana and Texas in
supporting the Marine Corps Marathon medical staff,
Program Office and approximately 30,000 runners.

> Commitment Requirement:
>
> - A briefing is held the week before the marathon
> which is mandatory for all Aid Station operators and
strongly urged for all other amateur radio volunteers
due to significant course changes this year. If you
are a first time operator this briefing is extremely
helpful as a chance to understand the scope of the
operation as well as ask questions of the
functional area leads.

> - Check-in at the Staging Area for most operators
> will be between 0530 and 0700 on the day of the
race. Operators in secure locations or at NCS will
have separate reporting requirements communicated to
them.

> - Race conclusion is usually by approximately 1700
> hrs with most operators secured long before that. If
you have to leave early in the day let us know so we
can work with you on a location.

> How do I sign up?
>
> Fill out the form here before October 1 so we can
> get your information to the US Marine Corps Program
Office for security reasons: