[d-star] Further Discussion of D-STAR Gateway Static IP Requirement Issue

Mark Thompson wb9qzb at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 28 20:01:35 CDT 2007

Further Discussion of D-STAR Gateway Static IP Requirement Issue

See highlighted comments below.

Protocol updates (was Re: JARL)

Posted by: "jk1zrw" 7m3tjz at jk1zrw.ampr.org  jk1zrw
Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:09 pm (PST)

> I was reading on a US site that gateways need to have a static IP
> address and that any changes to the network are difficult to update
> properly, due to the replication topology used. Is there any work
> being done to optimise the network side of the gateway
> protocols? The static IP requirement for example dramatically
> increases the cost of connection in some cases. It also limits the
> choice of ISPs, usually to some of the smaller providers. For
> example, the ISP I am with has the bandwidth to run a gateway (it's
> high end ADSL2+ connection, 16Mbps downstream, 1Mbps up), but it is
> typical in that it has a long persistent dynamic IP (i.e. it does
> change, but usually only after several weeks or months). A static
IP
> would necessitate going to a "business grade" service, which would
> cost at least 50% more for effectively the same service.
>
> All of the VoIP systems for analogue radios have some means for
> dealing with dynamic IPs, usually in the form of server
> clusters. IRLP also distributes servers on multiple continents,
with
> local hosts files that act as a "backup backup", in the unlikely
> event that a server cannot be contacted. Inconsistencies are rare,
> and they clear themselves very quickly.

I agree your suggestion. 2 years ago, we (one repeater in Japan) used
the dynamic IP (now changed to the static IP). We know what is the
problem and how to solve it. This solving method is same as DDNS.
If repeater will change the IP address, we do not use that repeater
until updating the IP address of trusted file. And anoterh problem
is VPN system does not support dynamic IP in current system. (This
is minor problem.)
OK. we will disccuess this issue again.

> Now if IPv6 was the dominant protocol, this wouldn't be such an
> issue, since the world would be static IP addresses all round. :-)

Oh! IPV6! This is our final goal. IPV6 is not static IP in the
world. First 64 bits is depended on ISP(network address). Only last
64bits is unique address in the world. So I (not committe) want to
get the network address of IPV6 (like ampr.org 44.xx.xx.xx) for
amateur radio.

Satoshi 7m3tjz