[d-star] 1.2G antenna tips

Erik Westgard ewestgard at att.net
Tue May 15 14:21:19 UTC 2007

1.2G is a challenging band for antennas and coax.  And connectors.  Based on
running my 1285.000 voice repeater for a few years here are some tips

1. Discones are "rated" for 1.2 but are truly hopeless
2. PL259s are a dead short at this frequency
3. RG8 is the same way
4. Always start with at least a GP21 (11 db or so) or a 22 element beam
(vertical) at least
5. Even good (N etc) connectors are a loss- like 1db each- adapters are the
same
6. 100 feet is about max with LMR400

To give you an idea, I'm line of sight from 3M Center here, 9 miles, and a
22 element beam at 22 feet, 10 watts and 100 feet of LMR400 + 2 Ns is a
minimum antenna setup.  We have seen 25 miles to our machine

Generally, we can cover anything you can see at 1.2, and it's a just a
little worse overall than 440 based on experience.  You usually don't get
the "bonus" - non line of sight -propagation we see often on 2 meters.