[d-star] Web Application Test Successful

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Mon May 7 13:28:47 UTC 2007

Definitely made some progress yesterday. Got the RP1 D-STAR repeater
configured, tested it with my ID1 radio and was able to connect through
the repeater to a "server" on the Ethernet side. The server had a simple
web page and I could browse the web page from my computer by putting in
the IP address of the server. The last thing we did was FTP a 1.5MB file
from the server to my laptop via D-STAR. The data through-put for the
test was very consistently 10.5Kbytes per second. It was interesting to
watch the repeater send about 10 Ethernet packets to my computer, then
switch directions and my radio send back a burst of 10 ACKs. The web
page was doing occasional updates during the data transfer too.

We want to play around a bit more with 2 or more ID1 radios on the
repeater and see what we can about connecting through the repeater to
the other radio or to other services. I expect I'll have the repeater at
the TwinsLAN meeting next Saturday and we may get to play a bit after
the meeting.

Also talked with Ed WB0VHF a bit about getting the repeater into its new
home. With luck it could be installed at 3M Center within a couple
weeks, although not in its full configuration. We can do a "quickie" by
just hooking the data repeater to the 1.2GHz antenna on site. It will
take another work party to put up the second antenna so we can have both
data and voice active. We'll probably just put a simple web page server
on the repeater initially, just as a place holder until the real server
for the packet interconnect can be made ready. But a simple server is
enough to prove you can connect to the repeater. Doing more than that
will require another ID-1 on the repeater frequency that you can connect
through for Internet.

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.