[d-star] Update on n0svx / k0uw d-star stuff

Erik Jacobson erikj at tdkt.org
Thu Mar 1 20:17:27 UTC 2007

I didn't sant people to think I was losing interest or anything, but
it hasn't been a hugely eventful week here.

 * I've been trying to consider which data frequency to use with my requested
   1.2 ghz pair.  After some discussion, a thought now is 1299.7.  This is
   near the end of the upper data band.  It's a bit close to my repeater,
   but it's far from ATV operations that could affect the other data band.
   This isn't set in stone by any means.

 * I've ordered 1 1.2 GHz base antenna for my house.  I found a run of
   LDF4-50A coax (not the best, but ok for testing) and put one N connector
   on it.  After I have my antenna in hand and the weather gets better, I'll
   put this antenna up as high as I can personally go on my tower.  Before
   I can do this, I need to come up with a side-arm some how  (or make one).
   In order to get data going, I'm waiting on the following:
    - RP2D (waiting on icom to send it)
    - side-arm (waiting to find one or get materials to make one)
    - Waiting for my tri-band 1.2ghz antenna to arrive at Radio City

 * I'm starting to think more seriously about the filters for duplexing
   the 1.2ghz components (and filtering the data piece).  Chip Angle at
   Angle Linear is doing some research on being able to share a single
   antenna with both 1.2ghz components at the same time.  My current thought
   process is I'll probably go with Angle Linear as soon as my 1.2ghz repeater
   pair is fully allocated.  So I'm waiting for the OK from MRC here.
   Lead time on this equipment would be two months.

 * I installed the ID1 from last week in my car.  I also bought a cheap
   inverter - so I'll be able to play with data in my car at a future point
   with my notebook.

 * Icom has mailed me the official gateway software since I completed the
   icom training.  I should have the official software soon.

 * We're trying to figure out if the 2.4 GHz processor speed requirement
   listed in the RP2C gateway server guide is really a hard requirement.
   I can't personally understand why it would need to be that fast.  I have
   access to some inexpensive but nice Dell 1U and 2U rack mount servers with
   2 1 ghz processors.  They'd do slick but officially wouldn't be supported
   because the processor is too slow.  See this forum posting for progress:
   http://www.icomamerica.com/support/forums/tm.asp?m=4942
   If dual 1-ghz isn't supported, they surely wouldn't like the crap box I'm
   testing with now :) :)

So that's the update from here so far :)

Erik