[d-star] d-star repeater system ordered :)

Erik Jacobson erikj at tdkt.org
Wed Jan 24 00:19:39 UTC 2007

> year around and if one tree reduces the 900mhz to 1000 ft then have a
> problem with 1.2ghz mobile.  then what power level will id-800 run ?
> will wait for more info , keep up the good work.

Just looking at the specs (I've never touched one of these yet... :)

It appears it does 10 watts max.

I guess the good side is that it's easy to get high gain... the bummer
is it's easy to lose it :)

At $1,000, it's probably too much to get unless you've borrowed someone's
and know it will work.  This is way too high a hill to climb, but, on
the other hand - it does do a lot of stuff.  I'm not sure if the $20
rebate is still in affect, but that doesn't even cover the taxes.

I always wanted a radio with an ethernet jack in my car - and the RJ45
for the mic doesn't count :)

That's one problem with the d-star at 1.2GHz -- it costs to much for
people with casual interest to give it a try.  We wouldn't have such a
chicken-and-egg problem if the parts were cheaper.  We'll see if they
fall in the future.

Erik