[d-star] Radio question, any systems, some thoughts?

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Wed Jan 17 20:34:08 UTC 2007

Hi Erik.

This is just about the first message that has appeared on the group.
There are a bit more than a dozen people subscribed but no traffic to
date.....

There are a few groups looking at D-STAR repeaters but nothing has
actually got money applied yet that I've heard. The end of the month is
also expected to be the end of the ICOM "buy two, get two" rebate.

There are a number of people in the metro with 2M or 440 D-STAR equipped
radios. I don't know that anyone has actually bought any 1.2G equipment.
The whole D-STAR issue is a "chicken and egg" type proposition. Although
I will say that anyone with a good centrally located 2M or 440 D-STAR
repeater will probably have 20 users trying it out in fairly short order.

But no, I don't think your 70' repeater would have more than Bloomington
level of coverage. Digital probably isn't going to give you more range
than what it has now on 440 and probably less on 1.2G. Height is pretty
directly equivalent to range.

I don't really have a good handle on 1.2G range either. The only
anecdotal evidence is from Eric NY9D. He said the 10 watt 1.2G FM voice
repeater on top of 3M Center has coverage to western Minneapolis. But
that is from an exceptionally good site. I expect you can hit the
147.120+ and 444.825- repeaters (same site) from just about anywhere in
the metro.

If I had all kinds of money, I'd like to see D-STAR repeaters in
Maplewood/Oakdale (near 3M), Burnsville (on the ridge), downtown Mpls,
Maple Plain, and Coon Rapids/Blaine. With good sites that could pretty
well cover the metro, data and voice. It would be interesting to try
coverage maps for those areas. Finding high points that can be used in
those areas is the challenge. Finding frequencies is another issue.

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.