[d-star] 1.2G Dstar Voice Just Say OK

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Wed Feb 21 04:01:42 UTC 2007

Less than half the people on this list are data people. And most of us
are not too fanatic about it. As far as I'm concerned, the ID-1 is
mostly a data radio and the fact that it can be used for voice operation
and connect via digital voice to other users is a great zero-cost
option. For emergency services work, I tend to think of D-STAR digital
voice as a back door to the comm room and about as secure as we're going
to get since we're not allowed to use encryption technology.

As for abusing the list or causing too much traffic, not a chance.
Everyone on the list signed up to find out what is going on with D-STAR
in the metro area. Until you started work on your system, there was no
info to share. Sharing is what the list is for.

I agree with both of you regarding voice repeaters. First, there are way
more 2M & 440 voice repeaters already available in town than we use on a
daily basis. How many of them would still be working in an emergency is
a different question. And no, there is no way I could have a 1.2G
digital voice module sitting in a box and not be planning to use it. My
only problem is the cost of the duplexer but I don't mind building so I
don't have to buy. (Buy is much faster.....)

Regarding the cheap VHF/UHF/SHF splitters, no, they don't have much
isolation. But all they need to do is reduce the out-of-band signal
level down to the point that it doesn't over-drive the receiver front
end. The two main problems are over driving the front-end and harmonic
generation or intermod in the transmitters.

Ham grade receivers are not too safe from overload but most are able to
ignore strong signals when they are in another band. The splitter will
usually provide more isolation than a TX circulator does so the intermod
in the transmitter is no worse. The splitters even help with harmonic
rejection because their isolation is added to that of the transmitter.
I'm using 2M/440 combiners on two repeater sites with no problems.

But I'd still expect a transmitter harmonic to break through no matter
what you do, simply because the signal level difference is too great. So
it is even more important than usual to run an intermod frequency test
program against all transmitters at a site when you are using one of
these splitters since everything is direct connected.

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.