[d-star] I have an ID1. Who else? :)

Erik Jacobson erikj at tdkt.org
Wed Feb 21 01:27:05 UTC 2007

Tonight, I purchased an ID1.  This will get me started down the path of
playing with the 1.2 dd and dv stuffs.

It sure costs a pretty penny.

At any rate, I have no antenna yet.  I'd say I could use a dummy load, but
even those seem to be harder to find at 1.2 :)

A mobile antenna will arrive in two days.  Then I'll be all set to listen to
the silence!

I'm starting to think about pieces for 1.2 ghz voice and data.  However, it's
really hard to buy the right components when you're not sure where you might
end up.  For example, do you want splitters to share 2 antennas instead of
three or 4?  How tall?  etc...    So I plan to get a minimal set of things
to get going here at the house...  I'll save the bigger purchases for
better antennas when I know where it's going and what's needed.

With this logic, I'll probably be ordering a 4-can 1.2 ghz duplexer soon
because I know I'll need that regardless, but I won't get pre-amps, or any
other filters.

My plan at this moment is to get a cheap base antenna that can do 1.2ghz
and some how put it on my tower part way up.  That will give us something
to play with -- and I can switch between dd and dv as needed.  This antenna
would stay at the house even when the equipment moves.

1.2 ghz dv is not super close as I have lots of components to get before that
works.  I think I'll wait for my federal tax return :)

These forward looking comments are just brain storming at this moment.
All I know for sure is I have an ID1 and will have a mobile antenna :) :)

Erik / N0SVX