[d-star] How many D-STAR mobiles are in town.

Doug Reed n0nas at amsat.org
Fri Feb 16 02:58:47 UTC 2007

I'm wondering how many people have D-STAR-equipped mobiles or HTs in
town. I'd like to know how many people would be able to help test for
D-STAR interference to an analog repeater by running simplex near the
repeater input.

There seems to be a lack of real-world information on the web about
D-STAR interference to analog repeaters when using narrow "splinter"
channels. In order to better understand the problems and formulate a
policy for the repeater council, we need to run some tests.

If you do find any useful test reports on the web, please send me the URL.

The idea would be to setup 7, 10, or 15 KHz off-frequency from the
repeater input and see if there is any interference to the analog
repeater while rag chewing during a busy net or something.

I know three people with D-STAR-ready HTs, but I don't know about any
mobiles. Running the mobiles on a base antenna would have the best
chance at causing interference, but even an HT on an outside antenna
would be better than nothing.

Any other ideas for testing D-STAR for interference? I'd like to repeat
the previous tests when next to the analog repeater transmit frequency too.

73, Doug Reed, N0NAS.