[d-star] Proposal

Erik Westgard ewestgard at att.net
Tue Oct 17 13:18:22 UTC 2006

I am thinking at a high level of several systems in town.  One would be on
the East Side and focused on 1.2G high speed data and emergency services.
MARA and Twinslan, who have a lot of digital experience would run that
system.

Other groups could put up systems on 2M/440 for voice and work with the
Internet linking, etc.  Eventually, several machines could be linked.  The
"shortage of pairs" problem on 2M has several potential answers, such as
having one or more groups move barely used FM pairs to digital, or carving
out a couple of channels on the digital sub-band.  The "FCC Lawyers" are
already circling on that issue.  We have 40 FM repeaters in town and we
would not miss one or two that might make the move.